Doula Training – with Kate Woods, Conscious Birth
Yoga Mamas is delighted to host our next Doula Training this Spring. Course dates run over 2 consecutive weekends and take place in our lovely central Brighton studio:
- Friday 12th, Saturday 13th & Sunday 14th April and
- Friday 19th, Saturday 20th & Sunday 21st April
The course runs 2pm – 7pm each afternoon.
‘Training’ to be a Doula is an unusual term for it, in many ways. Ultimately, the way of a Doula is something that’s usually already there within you. A passion for the miraculous process of birth and the childbearing year, a strong belief in women’s natural capacity to bring life through, patience, faith and the ability to remain grounded are some aspects and qualities which you may well recognise in yourself already.
To ‘train’ in such a grassroots tradition with us means initially spending time with others who feel passionate about the childbearing year, and sharing your thoughts and feelings around this is just as important as ‘learning’ ways to support, educate and empower the families you will work with.
Investment – £500. Please email to register your interest as places are filling up fast!!
The Curriculum includes:
- Why train as a Doula?
- Reflecting and debriefing of our own Birth stories and exploring our inherent attitudes around Pregnancy, Birth and Motherhood.
- The role of Doula in a historical light and modern day context.
- What it means to be ‘on call’ and how to prepare, in practical, physical and emotional ways.
- Boundary setting within your Doula Practice.
- Counselling and listening skills; how to ‘read’ non-verbal ques and approach vulnerable subjects.
- An In-depth session on the Stages of Labour including the physiology of birth and the interplay of Hormones within the labouring and birthing process.
- Working with your local healthcare team.
- Birth ‘Plans’: tool of focus or potential for disappointment?
- Pain relief used at home and in hospital.
- Alternative pain relieving methods from cultures and traditions around the world.
- When things don’t go according to ‘plan’.
- Birth preparation methods.
- Birth companionship and how to help; including Active birth positions, Acupressure techniques, massage for labour and birth, use of herbs and homeopathy and breathing ‘techniques’.
- Birth companionship and the Art of Doing Nothing.
- Where do I begin? Ideas for those first Prenatal / Postnatal sessions.
- Postnatal Doulaing…Breastfeeding, Baby care and how to empower new parents, rather than ‘teach’.
- Self nurturing and co-support.
- Networking and working with backups.
- How to set up your practice, set fees and attract clients.
- Creating a safe environment for your clients.
- Time to read and research from our extensive library.
- Full, ongoing support.
For more details visit – Doula Training or to book now email: email@example.com
Yoga Mamas Pregnancy Yoga & Birth Preparation Teacher Training Course – coming in 2013!
Yoga Mamas is busy creating a new course with pregnancy yoga at its core and further inspirations by other experts in nutrition, homeopathy, hypno-birthing, Sedona Method, amongst others!
We hope to launch this next year for yoga teachers and midwives, doulas and mums, interested in and passionate about pregnancy & birth.
To register your interest in this, please email!